Wednesday, August 30, 2006

Vintage Blocks


Thank you for all your lovely comments about my hand quilting in my last post. My stitches weren't as small as previosuly when I started again but it was relaxing and that was the most important thing at the time. The top was one I'd bought from an antique dealer in the US. In the 1990s, I bought quite a few tops and blocks as well as a couple of quilts which need repair and now they are on my list of UFOs to finish. I must show a few more photos of the finished quilts soon.
In the meantime this is a set of 20 vintage blocks called Hands All Round, with fabric from the 1930s and 1940s. Half of these blocks were finished and I took the background pieces off and I've been hand appliquing them to new background fabric. I will sash them with a pretty pale mint green sashing and borders and hand quilt it. I only have 2 blocks let to hand sew so it's getting closer to the hand quilting stage. I'll finish the current top though before I move onto this one.

5 Comments:

Blogger quiltpixie said...

the block in the forgraound made out of stripped fabric is so very effective with that pattern. It almost looks like a ribbon that someone has gathered up into the starburst in the corners...

5:47 AM  
Blogger Pam said...

I agree with Quiltpixie...that block is very effective! Good luck getting those older tops done up, I have one I need to finish, the date embroidered on the top is 1928.

6:14 AM  
Blogger Linda C said...

very nice!! The one the stripes especially. A creative quilter had fun with that one!

The block is a particular favorite of mine as it was the one from my 1st quilt guild---a pain to piece as a new quilter though I eventually found a short cut way that did not involve all the diamonds.

6:33 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love this block although I'll probably never make one. It will be very satisfying to have this one finished and the handquilting will be lovely with all those blank spaces :-)

2:18 AM  
Blogger Susan said...

Those are really great blocks. Where did you find them? I love the older blocks and tops.

6:56 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home