Saturday, August 26, 2006

Stress relief



I I pulled out one of my UFOs to work on today. It's a vintage 1940s feedsack quilt top which I'm hand quilting. I haven't worked on this one for 3 or 4 years so I thought it was time to get it finished. I was going to try a new hand quilting technique but decided to continue with my usual style as I don't want to make it more stressful for me. I find hand sewing is peaceful so I've also been hand sewing 1940s blocks to new backgrounds and only have 2 left to finish out of the 20 blocks. I want to finish this quilt before I start hand quilting the next one. I'm quilting flower shapes in between the star blocks and I was surprised to see that it's over half finished already. I'll try to do some every day and see how long it takes me. I didn't wash this one before I started as I wanted to wash it and shrink the batting when it's been quilted to give it an aged look.
Many thanks for all your kind comments.

12 Comments:

Blogger Jenni said...

YOur hand quilting looks fantastic Jan. As does the quilt. Are these fabrics the real deal from the 40s? Hope your family issues are sorting themselves out

9:38 PM  
Blogger quiltpixie said...

this is looking great! It'll have a well loved feel to it when its all done :-)

11:41 PM  
Blogger Linda C said...

The floral shapes look fantastic in the hexagon shapes. I hope this one sticks around for home use? I also hope for your sake that things are settling down at your house in the health department.

5:17 AM  
Blogger Cher said...

the perfect anti-stress reliever...fantastic hand quilting!

8:10 AM  
Blogger dot said...

very nice. This will be a treasured quilt when finished. It is already but usuable treasured quilt when completed.

12:28 PM  
Blogger Susan said...

That's a wonderful top. Where did you get it? Did someone in your family make it? The quilting design is perfect for this quilt.

4:32 PM  
Blogger Mary Johnson said...

This lovely, the quilt and the quilting.

4:13 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This quilt is gorgeous! The hand quilting is just right for it :-)

9:36 PM  
Blogger Vicky said...

Your quilt is just lovely. Good for you for pulling it out and making a commitment to finish it. It will be a real heirloom!

((HUGS))

6:46 AM  
Blogger Cynthia said...

your quilt is just beautiful.

7:06 AM  
Blogger Granny said...

Jan, anyone who hand quilts gets a blue ribbon in my book! Congratulations on doing the hand work.

Judy L.

6:56 PM  
Blogger Hedgehog said...

Another gorgeous one! Your site isn't updating on my bloglines, so I'm a little behind.

12:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home