Thursday, February 02, 2006

Vintage blocks


I've managed to show a photo of the 1940s blocks before I work on them. So far I've hand stitched 2 to a new background and they are looking good. I had hoped to do more but I've been busy getting a shipment of quilts, blankets and warm garments off to Pakistan and East Timor. I only managed 49 quilts this month as well as 7 boxes of clothing and 8 crocheted blankets. I just heard that there are over 3 million people left homeless by the earthquakes in Pakistan so it's harder to fiddle with my own sewing when I can get quilts finished and sent where they are most needed. Of course the quilts I'm sending a a mere drop in the ocean but will help a few people. Now I'm back to knitting a rainbow coloured scarf while I watch TV.

8 Comments:

Blogger Cher said...

49 quilts in one month?! I know compared to the need it doesn't seem much but that is a huge number for one person to generate!
wow....

7:39 AM  
Blogger Patti said...

You need to be very proud of what you have done - I think it's a great accomplishment!

10:10 AM  
Blogger Mary Johnson said...

That's a lot of quilts - do you make them all start to finish yourself?

5:21 PM  
Blogger Bonnie K. Hunter said...

Oh, I fell in love with that 'hands all around' pattern when I first started quilting. I think I did one block and gave it up, that was before I was warned of curves...*LOL* The blocks are GREAT!

Bonnie

5:46 PM  
Blogger Jan Mac said...

Mary, Some of them were donated (about 6) quilts and the rest were donated tops I quilted or quilts I'd made from scratch. Bonnie was right, the block is called Hands all Around". I'll post a photo of a finished block with a new background as they are looking even better.

8:33 PM  
Blogger Granny said...

WOW! That is a lot of quilts. Jan, you're doing a fantastic job!

Judy L.

10:23 AM  
Blogger quiltpixie said...

are you one related to the seven dwarfs?, perhaps called "busy" :-)

5:06 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'd like some of your quilting pixies to visit my house some day LOL - you do a great job! Can't wait to see the Hands blocks - they sound wonderful.

10:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home