Tuesday, December 27, 2005

Update on quilt progress.


The photo shows a quilt on a bed in an orphanage in East Timor from the first shipment I sent.
I'm trying to get as many quilts finished as possible before the end of year as I've just been asked to supply quilts to people in remote areas of Pakistan affected by the earthquakes in Oct 2005. They will also take the crocheted woollen blankets, knitted hats, shawls and scarves I have on hand. I'm now busy getting some more warm things made so they will receive them before their weather becomes too cold, but I beleive that they are already having snowfalls.
I was very excited to hear that I have a way of getting quilts to them as it will save me a huge amount on postage costs. I'm very fortunate to have so many generous quilting friends who have also offered donations of wool so I can make more blankets. Usually when my supplies of wool are getting low, I buy used jumpers in good condition, pull them out and re-use the wool in crocheted blankets.
At the moment I'm quilting and binding two quilts a day thanks to my new quilting machine. I piec tops and blocks during the day and quilt and bind at night. The quilts I'm making are mainly larger ones of at least single bed size so they take longer to make but are a more useful size. Back to the machine at Quilt Central Kialla

9 Comments:

Blogger Evelyn aka Starfishy said...

That room looks so bare - the quilt sure does cheer it up!

Cheers!

Evelyn

12:01 AM  
Blogger Bonnie K. Hunter said...

Hi Jan! I'm so glad you joined stash quilts ring! I love to make charity quilts too and am happy to find someone so like minded!

Bonnie

4:21 AM  
Blogger The Calico Cat said...

welcome to the quilt ring! Sounds like you are getting a good amount of charity work done.

7:04 AM  
Blogger Laurie Ann said...

Welcome! We look forward to seeing your quilts. Good job!

8:25 AM  
Blogger  Jeanne said...

welcome, Jan! I'll look forward to hearing more about your charity projects!

8:33 AM  
Blogger heather said...

It's great to get to see your quilt actually in use. I give almost all my quilts to charity too and wonder sometimes if they are being used. How nice to get confirmation.

5:46 AM  
Blogger Finn said...

Hi Jan, so nice to have you join the gals at Stash Quilts. Many of us at Mavericks visit back and forth from our ring to yours.

It's great work that you are doing. I'd so love to be helping, but without a quilting machine I have to tie mine, after pinning them into a frame. It all involves alot of standing up, which is painful. I do what what I can...and so admire what you are doing.

8:36 AM  
Blogger Samantha said...

Oh my goodness, 2 a day? I am very impressed! Hooray for all your charity quilts, and nice to have you on the ring!

4:56 PM  
Blogger Marilyn said...

Welcome to our little ring!

Marilyn

2:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home