Saturday, December 02, 2006

Another UFO finished

I delivered 5 Christmas table runners to the dementia unti this week and one was a UFO so that makes 14 finishes for the year. That is, apart from finishing all the donated UFOs for my charity quilts.
I'm just getting the last shipment ready to send off before Christmas. I have almost 80 quilts and 3 crocheted blankets as well as 32 scarves and 28 knitted hats to send.
The ladies loved the table runners and sat and "petted" them for ages. One dear old lady even went to sleep clutching one. I'd forgotten how non-quilters may appreciate them and probably most of these ladies have some vague memories of their own sewing projects. It seemed to be very important for them to touch them so I was glad that I made them instead of a wall hanging they wouldn't be able to handle. They were made using up bits and bobs I already had and Mum was happy to look at them. She wasn't nasty but doesn't know me as her DD.
Many thanks for all your kind words. I've been busy with family things as my Dad's younger brother has just been diagnosed with inoperable cancer and his older sister 's health isn't good. I'm grateful for my friends and charity sewing as they help to keep me positive. Hope everyone is nearly ready for Christmas.

11 Comments:

Blogger Joyce said...

You have been incredibly busy. I can't believe how many quilts you have made. Sorry to hear about all the illness in your family.

2:42 PM  
Blogger quiltpixie said...

the dressed up cats and dogs table runner is very cute. I'm sure they will be well loved in the unit...

4:18 PM  
Blogger Patti said...

Oh dear - it sounds like you've been dealing with several difficulties. May you all find comfort in each other.

The table runners look great!

7:35 PM  
Blogger Silverthimble said...

It sounds as though you generous donation of table runners was appreciated. I am so sorry to hear that you are dealing with family illness at this time of year.

9:57 PM  
Blogger Cher said...

how wonderful to hear how much your table runners were appreciated-so sorry to hear family health issues continue...it's good to be able to quilt and escape.

8:21 AM  
Blogger Linda C said...

You all have been through the ringer lately and yet you can continue to find time to work on your charity work. You are amazing, Jan Mac. You have truly earned your crown in heaven.

6:52 PM  
Blogger Susan said...

Wow, you've accomplished a lot this year! Where do you store all that until you send it away?

The table runners were a stroke of genius. How wonderful that you could give that comfort.

I'm sorry to hear that there's more difficulty for your family.

11:19 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm so glad your runners gave comfort both to the recipients and to you as you made them. Great job getting that many quilts and blankets done :-)

1:04 AM  
Blogger Evelyn aka Starfishy said...

I often find comfort and peace in sewing, so I can relate. I am sorry to hear of your family's share of illnesses. Your table runners are great - I used to volunteer on a stroke floor and many of the people really loved some of the simplier things!

Cheers!

Evelyn

1:39 PM  
Blogger Hanne said...

Your Christmas table runners are cute and it is good to bring comfort to others.
I am so sorry to hear about your family's health problems.
Hugs for you.

10:40 PM  
Blogger Katrina said...

Beautiful story. You are a very giving person and you should be so proud of yourself.

3:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home